Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Great Inagua, Bahamas I


I got a great chance to make a second trip to Great Inagua, this past September.  When Doug called me, to ask if I could fill in for his partner, who had to cancel, I jumped at the chance.  

Our first evening on Inagua was one of the two "Fish Fry" evenings of the week.  Cracked conch, fish, shrimp, and BBQ chicken were plentiful at the oceanside "restaurants".
(I won't mention the mosquitoes!)

With calm winds and good tides, it looked to be prime permit fishing conditions.  However, after 3 days, with only 2 shots apiece, it was clear that the permit had other ideas.  

Fortunately, there are plenty of good sized bonefish, on Great Inagua, so we made the best of poor permit fishing. 




Bonefish!

As we were fishing along, I spotted a big trigger fish, and dropped the AP Bonefish fly in front of the hungry fish. 




It was cool to watch it nose down and eat the fly!  It was awesome....for a few seconds...  
...since we were near a mangrove island, the trigger made a dash for the trees, and although I applied as much pressure as I could, to the 12 lbs. test, the trigger made it to the mangroves.  
Forget catching the fish...it was now  a matter of retrieving my fly & line.
Let's see....he went in about here....
...no, still no fish, or the end of my leader...
...maybe here...Yes!  Fortunately, I was able to find the fly (fish long gone), clip it, and pull my line from the trees... 
...Yep!  I love fly fishing!



In addition to the bonefish, I have wanted to catch a Mutton Snapper, on the fly, and I found one to make the day complete!
What a beautiful fish!


Next we decided to shift our attention to the "Lake".  This is a landlocked body of water, operated by the Morton Salt Company, that holds a good population of medium size (25-60 lb.) tarpon.  

As we poled along the mangroves, we spotted several tarpon cruising a small cove.  As I dropped the Tarpon Neutralizer fly, into the corner, a tarpon turned and ate the fly in a flash.  I was tight to my first tarpon of the trip...




The tarpon continued to eat our flies eagerly, with smiles all around!





 ...and eventually, I had my hands on our first tarpon.
Tarpon Neutralizer-fly of choice!




Doug was "up" next and he made the best of the opportunity.


This high flying acrobat really made the trip, as 50 lbs. of energy exploded into the air.



Fortunately we were in a relatively open area, and Doug could really apply the pressure!







Doug and I had a blast hunting tarpon in small pockets, and casting into tight lanes.  This type of fly fishing has got to be my favorite!





Yes, those are tarpon boiling in the background!



I think our smiles tell the story!

Thanks Doug, for a great trip, and fantastic memories!

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Burkett said...

Great blog post! Looks like you got some nice Tarpon and you got some great action shots! Nice job retrieving your fly out of the mangrove(you really do love fly fishing, Dad)! Glad you had a great trip.

8:23 AM  
Blogger 林磊 said...

2015-10-41leilei
cheap uggs
rolex replica watches
louis vuitton outlet stores
timberland uk
nike air max
coach factory
nike trainers
ed hardy
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet
ugg boots
air jordan 8
ray bans
louis vuitton outlet
north face outlet
michael kors bags
abercrombie and fitch
oakley vault
christian louboutin outlet
michael kors handbags
cheap jordans
canada goose uk
air jordan shoes
louis vuitton outlet
ugg boots
instyler max
michael kors uk
louis vuitton outlet stores
michael kors handbags
christian louboutin sale
ugg australia
michael kors bags
snapbacks wholesale
michael kors
toms outlet
ghd hair straighteners
toms outlet
michael kors handbags
ralph lauren
michael kors outlet online

12:47 AM  
Blogger 林磊 said...

2015-10-41leilei
gucci outlet online
coach outlet online
coach outlet online
ugg boots outlet
canada gooses outlet
louboutin shoes
moncler jackets
true religion outlet
michael kors outlet
nike roshe run
true religion jeans
mcm handbags
micahel kors
michael kors bags
abercrombie & fitch
adidas superstar
michael kors handbags
mont blanc pens
gucci handbags
michael kors outlet online
nike blazers uk
nike blazer
michael kors handbags
coach factory outlet online
coach factory outlet online
air max
louboutin pas cher
coach factory online
louis vuitton outlet
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet online
adidas trainers
longchamp soldes
cheap soccer jerseys
mizuno running shoes
louis vuitton pas cher
michael kors
true religion sale
michael kors handbags
ralph lauren

1:02 AM  
Blogger Liu Liu said...

Josh Gordon's Nike Free Run Cleveland Browns comeback has hit another roadblock. The wide receiver announced Thursday that he is entering an in-patient rehabilitation facility in an effort to "gain full control of my life." nfl jerseys store Gordon is eligible to play in the Browns' Week 5 contest against the New England Patriots as part Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes of the wholesale nfl jerseys terms of his NFL reinstatement for a substance abuse violation. Nike Air Max 90 Gordon's decision to enter rehab, however, puts his comeback on hold indefinitely. "After careful thought and deep consideration I've decided that I need to step away from cheap nfl jerseys pursuing my return to the Browns and my football career to enter an in-patient rehabilitation facility," Gordon wrote. "This is the right decision for me and one that I hope will enable me to gain full control of my life and continue on a path to reach my full potential as a person. Nike Roshe Run I appreciate the support of the NFL, NFLPA, the Browns, NFL Jerseys my teammates, my agent and the community through this extremely challenging process."

6:52 PM  
Blogger aaa kitty20101122 said...

adidas outlet
nike polo shirts
chrome hearts online
nmd
hogan outlet online
michael kors factory outlet
kobe 11
reebok shoes
true religion outlet
curry shoes

2:23 AM  
Blogger alice asd said...

christian louboutin sale
jerseys wholesale
longchamp handbags
atlanta falcons jerseys
polo ralph lauren
oakley sunglasses
colts jerseys
mont blanc outlet
true religion outlet
ugg outlet

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home